1. Time – To relax, dream and breath a creative flow.
2. Security – This can either work for you, or against you. Too much security and you may get lazy and not produce work. Not enough and you may be tempted/forced to focus on things besides your art.
3. Tools – No matter what you do you need some sort of tool, even if it is your finger. If money is really tight and you can not got your hands on the ideal items, we can learn to use what is available to us, if it is important to us.
4. Space – Even the space between our ears. Perhaps most important the space between our ears! If you can have a physical space to work this shows a priority both mentally and physically.
5. Drive to Create – You HAVE to want it as an outlet and/or as a business need. It is difficult enough to be a creative individual in the world, without a drive to create….forget about it.
6. Discipline – There are a lot of things to juggle when you are an artist: your time, priorities, finances, marketing to name just a few.
7. Passion – An indescribable love of what you do.
8. Support – You need people in your corner, even if it is only the voice in your head.
9. Ongoing Education – You must continue to challenge yourself in order to grow.
10. Guts – (chutzpah) Take the road less traveled and not produce more of the same takes an inner spark. Some days more than others….