Artist's E-Books to Support and Inspire Creativity
*All images and words copyright of Diane Dobson-Barton dba as Barton Studio 2002-2007
Home / Shop / Free Articles
Canvas Brush Holder
This is a wonderful item to have if you paint on location or are taking classes. You can purchase a similar item but why not just use left over canvas and pay a fraction of the cost. This makes a wonderful gift for fellow artists. And of course you can paint the surface however you choose for added flair!
1. Cut a piece of canvas 18 inches long and 1 inch wider than you need it to be.
2. Cut two strips 12 inches long and 1 inch wide. (As an alternative - a strong fiber or ribbon)
3. Fold over a 14/ inch hem on all edges of the large piece, pin it into place. Fold under all raw edges.
4. Sew along hem.
5. Fold over 12 inch strips so there are no raw edges showing. Sew along the seam.
6. Pin one end of each 12-inch strip into position along the edge
7. Fold one end up to create the pocket area for your brushes. Be sure that the end of each 12-inch strip is between layers of fabric. Sew pocket and strips into place along sides.
8. Sew the areas for beach rush pockets where need. If you have a large number of smaller width brushes, sew the seams closer together for smaller pockets, and further apart for wider.
* In order to store or carry your brush with you, simply roll it up and tie strips together.